Buda Island, a historic place
Get to know the best-preserved wetland
of the Peninsular Mediterranean
This has a length of 5km and currently consists of 1000 hectares; which makes it the largest island in Catalonia.
Buddha Island began to form from the 18th century. For 200 years, this island was growing a lot from 30 days to more than 5000 in the early twentieth century. From the year 1950, the Island was receding very quickly until now.
How to get to the Buda Island?
THE EBRO DELTA OF THE 60s
¡TIME TRAVEL IS POSSIBLE!
If you have ever visited Buddha Island, you can clearly see that there is no place like this in the whole territory.
Some of these reasons are:
- Its infrastructures: its buildings, the rural farmhouse, the houses …; Any infrastructure that you can find inside has a minimum of 50 to 60 years old, so you can see how the old houses that the first inhabitants of this area lived.
- The territory and the flora: The rice fields, their natural paths, the riverside forests, the lagoons, the calaixos … All the natural landscape that we find on the Buda Island reminds us of how we lived and how we worked in that times.
- The wild fauna: On the island we can find a great variety of types of wild birds that inhabit this natural territory, although we can also find some very unique fantastic horses from the Camargue Delta (La Camargue).
Buda Island is a space with restricted access.
The Island is divided by 2 parts:
Private part: This part belongs to the commercial company (ARGADEL, S.A.)
Public part: This part is managed by the Environment through the Delta del Ebro Natural Park.
HOW TO SEE BUDA ISLAND FROM OUTSIDE
HOW TO SEE BUDA ISLAND FROM THE INSIDE?
Although Buddha Island is restricted entry; There are 2 options to enter the Buddha Island and see the interior:
- The Pilgrimage of San Pedro and the Route of the Angula.
- At the end of June or beginning of July a pilgrimage is held with a mass and a brotherhood meal inside the Island.
- That same day you can enter freely to observe the interiors of the Island.
- For more information: Romeria de San Pedro
- Rural tourism on Buda Island.
- As we have said before, a part of Buda Island is private and the house or the main building inside the Island is a farmhouse of the oldest in the entire Delta.
- This farmhouse is currently a holiday accommodation and is the best option to observe the interior of the Island.
- Visit Mas Illa de Buda.