Buda Island, a historic place
Did you know...?
✅Buda Island is the best preserved wetland in Catalonia and in the entire Mediterrani Peninsular.
✅Buda Island is the largest island in Catalonia.
✅ Access to the interior of the Island can only be done through the rental of the Mas Rural de la Isla
✅ Bomba rice cultivation is the main activity on the island that allows it to be preserved and defended from the sustained advance of the sea.
✅ Of the 600 species of birds registered in Europe, more than 350 live on the Island.
The island began to form from the eighteenth century. For 200 years, this island grew a lot, going from 30 days to having more than 5,000 at the beginning of the 20th century. From the year 1950, the Island went backwards very quickly until now.
How to get to the Buda Island?
The best way to visit the Buda Island is through rural tourism with private accommodation located in the interior of the Island.
The accommodation is the main building in the interior of the Island, which is considered one of the oldest farmhouses in the entire Delta. This is a Valencian-style farmhouse built at the end of the 19th century, it housed settlers and local people to cultivate the rice fields.
Currently the farmhouse has been restored turning it into one of the best rural houses in the Delta and it is the best option to be able to observe the interior of the Island. Do not miss the Mas Isla de Buda!
THE EBRO DELTA OF THE 60s
TIME TRAVEL IS POSSIBLE!
If you have ever visited the Buda Island, you can clearly see that there is no place like this in the whole territory.
Some of these reasons are:
- Its infrastructures: its buildings, the rural farmhouse, the houses …; Any infrastructure that you can find inside has a minimum of 50 to 60 years old, so you can see how the old houses that the first inhabitants of this area lived.
- The territory and the flora: The rice fields, their natural paths, the riverside forests, the lagoons, the calaixos … All the natural landscape that we find on the Buda Island reminds us of how we lived and how we worked in that times.
- The wildlife: On the island we can find a great variety of types of wild birds that inhabit this natural territory, although we can also find some very unique fantastic horses from the Camargue Delta (La Camargue).
Buda Island is a space with restricted access.
The Island is divided by 2 parts:
- Private part: This part belongs to the commercial company (ARGADEL, S.A.)
- Public part: This part is managed by the Environment through the Delta del Ebro Natural Park.
HOW TO SEE BUDA ISLAND FROM OUTSIDE?
The easiest way to see Buda Island is from the outside.
There are several options to see the island of Buddha without entering: